Can I get email notifications when tasks succeed?

Yes!

Although Airflow doesn’t currently have an email_on_success task parameter like it does for email_on_failure or email_on_retry. We can make use of the on_success_callback parameter and some of Airflow’s email utility functions to send some notifications.

Airflow SMTP Environment Variables

Ensure your SMTP environment variables have been configured per the instructions here: https://www.astronomer.io/docs/airflow-alerts/

Update DAG definition

This method for getting emails sent on task success depends on defining a function in your top-level DAG code and passing it to the on_success_callback parameter in default_args.

We’ll make use of the send_email_smtp method in airflow.utils.email to do the heavy lifting. I’ve abstracted it within a secondary function as the only object passed to the function called by on_success_callback is the airflow context variable and I’d like to be able to pass it other parameters (like the destination email address here). Simply add this code to your top-level code as I’ve added it to example_dag.py and you’ll be set. The only relevant value in the default_args parameter below is on_success_callback.

from airflow.utils.email import send_email_smtp

def task_success_callback(context):
	outer_task_success_callback(context, email='destination@email.com')

def outer_task_success_callback(context, email):
	subject = "[Airflow] DAG {0} - Task {1}: Success".format(
		context['task_instance_key_str'].split('__')[0],
		context['task_instance_key_str'].split('__')[1]
		)
	html_content = """
	DAG: {0}<br>
	Task: {1}<br>
	Succeeded on: {2}
	""".format(
		context['task_instance_key_str'].split('__')[0],
		context['task_instance_key_str'].split('__')[1],
		datetime.now()
		)
	send_email_smtp(email, subject, html_content)

default_args = {
	'owner': 'airflow',
	'depends_on_past': False,
	'start_date': datetime(2018, 1, 1),
	'email_on_failure': False,
	'email_on_retry': False,
	'on_success_callback': task_success_callback,
	'retries': 1,
	'retry_delay': timedelta(minutes=5),
}
1 Like

There are different ways you can send emails from Airflow EmailOperator, PythonOperator with customization, using callbacks. All the methods are covered in detail in this blog post

1 Like