Snowflake connection type missing from dropdown menu in Airflow 2.0

I can’t seem to find the snowflake connection type in Airflow 2.0 conn type drop-down menu. It used to exist in Airflow 1.10.5 (see pic below). I’m hoping to upgrade to 2.0 but I need to be able to connect to Snowflake. Any workarounds to connect to Snowflake? Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Hi @yathor! First off, we’re pumped to hear that you’re on a path to Airflow 2.0 on Astronomer.

To answer your question, Connection Types in Airflow 2.0 are dependent on Airflow Provider Packages that are installed. In other words, you’ll need Airflow’s Snowflake provider (apache-airflow-providers-snowflake) in order to see the Snowflake ConnType in the Airflow UI.

Can you try adding that? If you’re running an Airflow Deployment on Astro that’s already on Airflow 2.0, simply add the package (apache-airflow-providers-snowflake) into your requirements.txt file and deploy to Astronomer or to your local environment.

Some resources on providers if you want to read further:

Note: We’ve seen some folks who incorporate SSL run into an error with the Snowflake provider (WARNING: The candidate selected for download or install is a yanked version: 'apache-airflow-providers-snowflake' candidate... Reason for being yanked: Snowflake breaks openssl when used). This is caused by Snowflake-specific code, but do feel free to reach out to Astronomer Support if you run into it.

Thanks Paola! I’ll give this a try.

Hey Paola, I ran into the issue you warned me about so I just started a request with your support team. Thanks again for your help.

1 Like

@paola
Hi I have encountered the similar type of issue “http” missing

Hi @paola. I know this post was from a while ago but I’m having the same issue as @yathor. I’m new to Airflow and have been closing following the Airflow Fundatmentals course. I installed apache-airflow-providers-snowflake (and I can see that it was successfully installed) and I did ‘astro dev restart’ but I’m still not seeing ‘Snowflake’ as a choice for connection type. Any ideas on what might be causing this issue? Thank you so much in advance.

Hey @nzaw96

Let me try to help you with this. First of all, glad to hear about the Airflow Fundamental course! :slight_smile:

About the issue, could you please run the following:

• Can you run the following command to open a shell to your Airflow Docker container:
    astro dev bash --scheduler
  • And then run pip freeze | grep snowflake to confirm if Snowflake is installed
  • You can exit from the container by typing exit

If you don’t see it, that means it is not properly installed. To help your environment better, can you provide your Astro Runtime version. You can see this in your Dockerfile in your Astro project. And also share the contents of your requirements.txt.

Thanks
Manmeet

1 Like

Adding apache-airflow-providers-snowflake to the requirements.txt solved the issue. Thanks @paola

2 Likes