Astro dev start fails with 'ERROR: failed to solve: process...'

I’m completely new to Airflow and I’ve just started following the Astronomer Airflow Fundamentals course. I closely followed the steps and installed docker and astro cli. When I ran ‘astro dev start’, I’m getting the following error:

ERROR: failed to solve: process “/bin/bash -o pipefail -e -u -x -c if grep -Eqx ‘apache-airflow\s*[=~>]{1,2}.*’ requirements.txt; then echo >&2 "Do not upgrade by specifying ‘apache-airflow’ in your requirements.txt, change the base image instead!"; exit 1; fi; pip install --no-cache-dir --root-user-action=ignore -r requirements.txt” did not complete successfully: exit code: 1
Error: command 'docker build -t astro_220521/airflow:latest failed: failed to execute cmd: exit status 1

Any ideas what might be causing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Answering my own question since I just managed to figure out what the issue was. Basically, ZScaler was turned on and that was causing the issue. I turned ZScaler off and when I ran ‘astro dev start’ it was successful!

1 Like

Hey @nzaw96! Welcome to Airflow and Astro :slightly_smiling_face: Happy to hear you solved this. We haven’t seen the Zscaler specific issue all too often, so good to have it published here for reference.

If you hit any other trouble with the Astro CLI as you’re getting started, don’t hesitate to keep posting here.

@paola Hi, I’m facing an exactly similar issue but I don’t have Zscaler on my work system the issue still exists. Any idea how to resolve this?
My Docker Version 24.0.6
Astro CLI Version: 1.20.1

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Hi @vigneshvikiis64,

Responded in the thread - Error - astro dev start - #2 by iamakashladdha

It won’t be just limited to Zscaler, but any other Firewall/VPN blocking the connectivity to get the packages installed.

Please check if your system isn’t behind any Firewall or VPN that would be restricting this connectivity.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Akash