Apple M1 - astro dev start hanging [FATAL tini (1)] PR_SET_CHILD_SUBREAPER

I’m trying to run astrocli on my Macbook (Apple M1 chip)

astro dev start hangs:
Airflow is starting up! This might take a few minutes…

When I look at the containers, all but the postgres server are continually restarting

49752fd4f1de   dbt-airflow-example_e912b5/airflow:latest   "/entrypoint bash -c…"   8 hours ago   Restarting (1) 57 seconds ago                            dbt-airflow-example_e912b5-webserver-1
8a3bdf7ed28f   dbt-airflow-example_e912b5/airflow:latest   "/entrypoint bash -c…"   8 hours ago   Restarting (1) 57 seconds ago                            dbt-airflow-example_e912b5-scheduler-1
3ac5f447eefe   dbt-airflow-example_e912b5/airflow:latest   "/entrypoint bash -c…"   8 hours ago   Restarting (1) 57 seconds ago                            dbt-airflow-example_e912b5-triggerer-1
c3d67cd97d3a   postgres:12.6                               "docker-entrypoint.s…"   8 hours ago   Up 9 minutes                    0.0.0.0:5432->5432/tcp   dbt-airflow-example_e912b5-postgres-1

The log messages for each are:

[FATAL tini (1)] PR_SET_CHILD_SUBREAPER is unavailable on this platform. Are you using Linux >= 3.4?

I’ve increased the cores, memory, and swap memory for Docker Desktop.

I’ve also tried using a different base image: sfguide-citibike-ml-snowpark-python/Dockerfile at main · Snowflake-Labs/sfguide-citibike-ml-snowpark-python · GitHub (based on the comment in the Dockerfile that the M1 chip was particularly finicky)

I haven’t found any love from Google searching this specific log message. I’m sure there is something simple I’m missing

Hey @Gcav66 ! Thanks for reaching out, and sorry to hear you’re having trouble with this. This has popped up for our team between yesterday and today, and we suspect that it has something to do with the combination of Apple M1 machines and Docker Desktop version 4.13.0, which came out as latest on Oct 19th. Docker release notes here.

You can see that we’ve actually got this potential issue reported here: Astro runtime not compatible with Docker Desktop v4.13.0 · Issue #835 · astronomer/astro-cli · GitHub.

Can you try installing an earlier version of Docker Desktop and trying again? We can go from there if that doesn’t work.

1 Like

Thank you, @paola - that solved my problem! I installed the previous version of Docker Desktop (3.6.0) and airflow starts right up.

In the future I’ll be sure to check for any open GitHub issues. Thank you again for the fast response

1 Like

Excellent news! Glad that worked. Enjoy the CLI :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hello! This error is caused by a bug in Docker Desktop v4.13.0. Docker has fixed this issue in v4.13.1. Upgrade Docker Desktop to v4.13.1 and astro dev start should work again